We enjoy welcoming visitors to New Zealand and we’d like to think that when you come here that you have an experience to remember - but for the right reasons. So if you’re coming to New Zealand, it’s a good idea to make sure you have everything ready. When you arrive in New Zealand, you’ll need to be carrying a passport that is valid for at least three months beyond your intended departure date.

Click here to find out more.

Do you need a visa or permit?

You do not need a visa or permit to visit New Zealand if you are:

  • A New Zealand/Australia citizen or Resident Permit holder
  • An Australian citizen traveling on an Australian passport
  • British citizen and or British passport holder who can produce evidence of the right to reside permanently in the UK (you can stay up to six months)
  • A citizen of a country which has a visa waiver agreement with New Zealand (you can stay up to three months)

Types of Vsa:

- Visitor Visa

A visitor visa allows you to stay in New Zealand as a visitor for a limited amount of time. It allows you to:

  • visit as a tourist
  • visit friends or relatives
  • play sports or perform in cultural events without pay
  • undertake business meetings
  • undertake short-term study

For more detail on special categories of visitor visas please see the Visitor Visa Guide

- Work Visa
You may apply for a work visa if you are going to New Zealand for the purpose of employment. “Employment” means any activity undertaken for gain or reward. To find out which types of work are not considered to be “employment” and the different Immigration Instructions under which you can apply for a work visa, please see the Work Visa Guide. An employment offer from a New Zealand Employer is generally required for work visas. Neither Immigration New Zealand nor the Visa Application Centre aid in finding this employment in New Zealand.

- Student Visa
Most overseas students need a visa to study full time in New Zealand. If you want to study part time in New Zealand and you hold a New Zealand visitor visa or work visa, you may apply for a variation of conditions to allow you to study which can be applied for in New Zealand.

- Transit Visa
People who wish to travel to and be in New Zealand only as a transit passenger should apply for a transit visa.
Citizens of some countries who are intending to transit New Zealand are not required to obtain a transit visa. 

- Residence Class Visa
People who wish travel to New Zealand and stay indefinitely must meet the Immigration Instructions for a Residence Class Visa. For More information please see Application for Residence Guide (Skilled Migrant Category) or Residence Guide.